Accidents are unexpected and can be both overwhelming and stressful. It is important to not only remain calm after an accident, but also take the necessary steps to ensure safety and peace of mind. Below are ten suggestions that may come in handy the next time you’re in an automobile accident:
- Check for injuries of all passengers and call 9-1-1
- Turn on hazard lights to alert other drivers
- Call the police, even if accident is minor, and insist on an accident report
- Be cooperative and polite
- If possible, move your vehicle to the side of the road or a well-lit parking lot so you’re not blocking traffic
- Notify insurance agency or company immediately
- Check for property damage and take pictures of all vehicles involved (including license plates and registration stickers), any skidmarks, and car parts or auto fluids on the roadway
- Exchange information with other drivers involved including name, address, vehicle make/year/model, insurance carrier, insurance policy number and license plate number
- Collect contact information of witnesses and tow company if your vehicle has been towed
Please note that these are suggestions to help you take the right course of action after you’ve been involved in an accident. Remember above all to never leave the scene of an accident and remain calm, help is on the way.
Contact us for more information or keep a copy of our accident checklist so you’re prepared.